Many non-profit organizations hire parliamentarians for annual meetings, particularly if those meetings are part of a convention. While it’s important to have a parliamentarian for major meetings, a parliamentarian can help any organization on an ongoing basis.
A Parliamentarian can—
- Help you have effective, efficient meetings to achieve your goals.
- Assist you in assessing current meeting effectiveness.
- Offer board training for officers and directors.
- Lead parliamentary workshops for members.
- Create scripts for leaders to use in presiding.
- Support bylaws committees.
- Help set up procedures for electronic meetings.
- Preside at a contentious, challenging meetings.
- Prepare an educated opinion on parliamentary procedure.
Need Help Finding a Parliamentarian?
The National Association of Parliamentarians can help you find a credentialed parliamentarian in your geographic area. In Michigan, the Michigan State Association of Parliamentarians can connect you with somebody whose skills match your parliamentary needs.
by Gretchen Denton, LSPU Education Chair